It’s Christmastime! Are you feeling stressed or blessed? If you had to rate how you’re feeling based on a holiday song, which one would it be?
Blue Christmas (Elvis Presley)
Maybe you’ve lost a loved on or you’re going through a rough patch. I get it. We’ve experienced many layoffs – right before Christmas. We also recently lost my father-in-law. He made it to his 92nd birthday. That’s a life well-lived!
Even with everything that’s going on in the world, hope and joy can be found – if you know where to look.
Unspeakable Joy (Chris Tomlin)
This is one of my favorite holiday tunes to perform! Even though I only use a jingle stick and no drums, it has so much energy and well – joy! You can’t help but dance!
So my suggestion to you this season is that, no matter how you’re feeling, put on some Christmas tunes, make your favorite holiday beverage, decorate the tree, and make some memories. Remember the reason for the season. Don’t let circumstances (or what’s going on in the world) steal your joy.
Little Drummer Boy (For King and Country)
I like this tune, not only because it’s really high-energy but because of the message that even simple gifts can make a difference. And because drumming is fun!
If you haven’t heard this version yet, you really need to check it out! Click here for the video.
Here are some other suggestions:
- Connect with a friend or relative who might be spending the holidays alone.
- Find a “giving tree” (aka “angel tree”). Pick a name off the tree and buy a gift for a child in need. It’s a great way to give back and it’s loads of fun!
- Send greeting cards. Yes, the real ones, not e-greetings! Every time I write one out, I think of the person I’m sending it to. Sending a massive e-greeting isn’t quite the same.
- Attend a holiday concert or event. If you’re local, join us at Evangel Church, at 11am on 12/18! We’ll be doing some holiday favorites!
- Don’t stretch yourself too thin! Don’t push it too much. Make sure you relax a bit and enjoy the season!
How about you?
What holiday song sums up how you’re feeling this Christmas? Drop a comment below!
Dori Staehle lives in the Raleigh, NC area and is a certified drum therapist, Toca Percussion artist, Christian author and speaker, and owner of Next Stage Drumming. Dori offers interactive wellness and empowerment programs that rock. She specializes in seniors, special needs, and stressed out entrepreneurs. Virtual and in-person programs are available. Click here to schedule a call to find out more!